Saturday, September 5, 2009

Inglourius Basterds

It took me a long time to review this movie. I couldn't figure out what to say. I love this poster because it says, "Once upon a time in Nazi occupied France...where apparently no one could spell." It's the truth. It's classic Quentin Tarantino. You will recognize the style from Kill Bill and if you didn't like Kill Bill don't go see this movie. The main draw, let's not kid ourselves, is Brad Pitt. He and his hilariously bad Southern Tennessee accent are the real stars in this movie. Quentin does an excellent job of tying together themes of outrageous inhumanity and stupidly arrogant ignorance by those that had money and weren't bullied by Hitler. Brad Pitt plays a Nazi soldier in a force of pissed off Jewish men and other men who are or have been persecuted by The Nazis. Brad Pitt tells his men that he has a little Creek Indian in him and that each man owes him 100 Nazi scalps and when he makes this request he doesn't mean it metaphorically. He means he wants his scalps and as he says, "I will have my scalps." The violence that seem to be the staple of all Quentin Tarantino movies and the graphic nature of it is missing in this movie and I have to say, thank god. There are times when there are graphic scenes of violence but nothing too cringeworthy. In Entertainment Weekly, they said it best when they said, "this is World War 2 the way Hollywood woulda done it." All I can say is amen to that. It doesn't ever tell you where the big scar on Brad's neck comes from or any of his character's back story. It's a little long and slow in parts and of course some of it is in German and therefore subtitled and to me annoying. This movie is worth seeing regardless of whether you like Quentin Tarantino or not. This movie is just good fun! I loved it, but then in my eyes Quentin Tarantino can do no wrong and he has proven it once again!

This movie gets *** out of 4 stars because it is a little too long and slow in places, but still I laughed, I cried, I cringed and I cowered on the edge of my seat. Like I said before....just plain ole fun! Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment